The Lithuanian Basketball League (LKL) board held a meeting and agreed to implement some decisions ahead of the 2019-20 Betsafe LKL season.
We present you a summary of these decisions.
- Licenses. All 10 teams that competed in the Betsafe LKL previous season applied for the license to take part in the 2019-20 Betsafe LKL season. The board gave licenses for all 10 teams, but Nevezis Kedainiai were asked for additional documents to be provided until the August 15. If the team fulfils requirements, the license will become valid. Otherwise the season will start with 9 teams only.
- Schedule. The season will start on September 21 in Klaipeda when Neptunas will face Juventus Utena. The season will end on June 12th 2020 at the latest.
- Playoffs. The board agreed unanimously to prolong the length of the Play-Off series. The Semi-Finals will be played in a best-of-five format instead of a best-of-three format that has been implemented for 2018-19 season. The Quarter-Finals will be played in best-of-three format while the Finals will be played in best-of-five format. However, the Play-Off series could be shortened if the Lithuanian clubs make final stages of international tournaments.
- King Mindaugas Cup. The board decided to extend the King Mindaugas Cup for the 2019-20 season; there will be 16 teams competing in the tournament, two more compared to the previous season. Six NKL teams will be invited to the competition.
- The LKL board includes Paulius Motiejunas (Zalgiris Kaunas), Darius Gudelis (Rytas Vilnius), Sigitas Ambrazevicius (Neptunas Klaipeda), Alvydas Bieliauskas (Lietkabelis Panevezys), Arturas Nacickas (Siauliai), Rimantas Endrijaitis (Pieno Zvaigzdes Pasvalys), Zydrunas Urbonas (Juventus Utena), Tomas Pacesas (Dzukija Alytus), Romanas Seliava (Nevezis Kedainiai), Aurimas Bartuska (BC Prienai), Remigijus Milasius (LKL President), Romualdas Brazauskas (LKL General Director).